Zatanna wakes up, and sings about her birthday being the best day above the holidays, like Christmas Day, or Easter, and etc. Her pet bunny dances along with her, mimicking her owner's dance moves. At their secret base, the others try to sing her song, all the while failing to sing it perfectly. Kara complains that they've been doing this for at least 50 times, but Zee tells her that she makes it a big deal since it is her birthday. Diana suggests instead moving on with the birthday song; Karen gives Zee a present from all the others. Thinking it was small, she jokes about not getting a pony, but says that they're going to give her a bigger present. She also informs them that tomorrow is her actual birthday, thus making the day her "pre-birthday." Luckily, she opens her birthday binder, which is a wishlist of all the things she dreamed of having. The others are overwhelmed as to how expensive the items are. She tells them that she is coming back to get another volume of her birthday binder. As she is out of the scene, the others vent on how she acts crazy on her birthday. Diana claims if anyone does such behavior in her homeland, the person will travel 500 miles on a boat without any food or water, or they will die. They laugh about it as Zee eavesdrops on their conversation, looking sad as she teleports out of the base.
In her bedroom, she ponders about her friends not celebrating her birthday. She then sings her birthday song again, but in a minor key. At one point, her anger consumed her, which is her dark side. As she lets her anger out, the dark magic disperses as well, as it comes to her friends, whose eyes are colored blue. The next day, she wakes up and finds her friends in her bedroom. They promised that they're gonna give her the best birthday in her life. They did so at the Metropolis Pier.
Now at Sweet Justice, it is evening, and she had a fun birthday, that she is willing to call it a day. However, her friends wouldn't stop with the birthday celebration, which makes her nuts. As they all sang her birthday song, Zee realized her magic had placed a spell on them. She distracts them and quickly teleports away. She tries to calm herself down as her friends attempt to enter her room. After a while, she comes out and finds her dad with a birthday cake. She asks if he was in a spell, but Giovanni becomes confused. She admits to her dad that everything happened because of her, and she cries. Giovanni manages to comfort her, but then Zee regrets making her birthday a huge deal. Her dad reveals that her mom left on her birthday when she was little, which makes a part of it his fault. A flashback shows it happening while it was Zee's birthday. While the Girls break into her room via the window, Giovanni tells her daughter that only she can reverse the spell. A clip from the episode "Living The Nightmare'' shows the box which contains the dark side of her magic. He says that as Zee inherits light magic from him, dark magic comes from her mother. Dark magic is fueled with negative emotions, in this case, anger. As the others break through the window, John creates a magical force field to hinder them from going any further. Zee runs into her room to open the box to close in the dark magic. But as she opens the box, negative thoughts run into her mind. Said thoughts were about her mom leaving her, and her friends doing the same, in which it spreads over her. She finds a purple glow from the present she received earlier as it is shown to be a picture frame of all of them together having fun. She is reminded that no matter what, her friends still love her. Meanwhile, Giovanni tries his hardest to contain them, but eventually, they subdue him. Light magic then collides with the dark magic in the box, where she overcomes her negative emotions, thus closing the box as it is placed back under her bed. As her friends strike at her, she casts a spell to put them back. Everything is back to normal, as Supergirl wonders how they got into Zee's apartment. Zatanna explains what happened, apologizes for getting carried away with her birthday, and thanks them for the gift. Then they hugged each other. Giovanni rushes to the room, relieved that everything is now fine.
- Kimberly Brooks as Karen Beecher/Bumblebee
- Grey Delisle Griffin as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman
- Phil LaMarr as Giovanni Zatara
- Tara Strong as Batgirl/Barbara Gordon
- Nicole Sullivan as Supergirl/Kara Danvers
- Myrna Velasco as Green Lantern/Jessica Cruz, Mrs. Zatara
- Kari Wahlgren as Zee Zatara/Zatanna
- This episode and "Anger Management" both premiered on the Fourth of July, the Independence Day for USA.
- This is the first appearance of Zee’s mother, although only her silhouette is shown.
- It is revealed that Zee’s mother left her family on Zee’s birthday.
- Zee is the second character to have a mother divorced, the first was Barbara with Barbara Eileen Gordon.
- Giovanni is shown to be aware of Zee and her friends being supeheroes.
- This is also the first episode where it directly references another episode (or simply uses it in a flashback).
- As of this episode Zee is 17 years old.
- Zee did not turn into a superhero in this episode.
- When Karen gives Zee his birthday present mentioning that it is from all of them, Zee jokes that the gift is too small to be the pony she asked for, this being both a reference and a jest to My Little Pony franchise, specifically MLP: Friendship is Magic, series that was also produced by Lauren Faust.
|v • e Generation 2 animated media|